Tuesday, February 21, 2017

January: Patience

In case you missed it, I made a NYs resolution to pick one gospel topic each month and study it in depth.

I literally have pages filled with my thoughts, scriptures, and quotes, but I'm going to focus on two main points for these posts.

1) Most important patterns and points that emerged.

2) **Shovels** Growing up my dad would often bring a shovel to lessons he would teach. He would ask the class what is was. They would respond exclaiming that it was indeed a shovel. My dad would then correct them by stating it was an IMPLEMENT. Because of this, I am always looking for ways to IMPLEMENT the teachings into my life.


January: PATIENCE
(Yeah I know... a little late on the post.)

I came across patience in two different contexts:

Patience through trials and affliction 
Patience with others.

Trials & Affliction

Romans 5:3-4 - "...tribulation worketh patience; patience, experience; experience, hope."


The Lord often uses repetition and patterns to teach us. It is no different with patience.

Trial --> Experience --> Hope

When we are required to be patient we are often experiencing affliction. If we can endure (trial), we eventually learn it is for our good (experience), and then it becomes a testimony to us for the future (hope). 

Heb 12:1 – “Let us run with patience the race that is set before us. Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.”

It doesn't say, let us WALK or WANDER or TRUDGE, it says RUN! I love this. We must always be fully invested in the race. Even though we may not see the full path ahead of us, we must exercise patience and faith always looking to our Savior.

**Shovel** I know I will go through trials, it is inevitable, so I need to have a more positive attitude about it. RUN through my trials with faith. Always look to Heavenly Father and trust in the process (trial -> experience -> hope).

Others

I originally chose patience as one of my 12 topics to study this year because I have become extremely impatient with others. Call it sleep deprivation, motherhood, or whatever else, but I wanted it to stop. I didn't like how I was treating others, and I didn't like the way it made me feel. I was looking for real answers on how I could change this. Guess what? I found them.

I found three solutions to become more patient... major **SHOVEL** here.


1) D&C 101:38 - "Seek the face of the Lord always, that in patience you may possess your souls..."

If I am ever having a hard time being patient, LITERALLY picture the face of Christ. It must be so frustrating for Him, the ultimate selfless and perfect being, to have patience with me, a selfish, imperfect being. If He can be patient with me, then I can surely be patient with those around me.

2) Hebrews 10: 24 –  "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works."

Instead of escalating a situation by saying something contentious, say something to provoke love. Or even better, DO something to provoke love.

3) 2 Thes 1:4 – this scripture talks about being blessed for enduring. 

If all else fails and I just can't do it, ENDURE. Don’t open my mouth or say anything, just get through it. I know it's not a great solution but as a last resort, it is better than impatience!



Next month: Prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment